Friday 20 March 2015

Day 39 - Burma (Mandalay)

Had a really good look around the town today. I couldn't honestly say it's a picture postcard affair on every street but it does have more than its fair share of moments;


The thing is, for me anyway, it has a really really good feel about it. It's quirky, lively and interesting. The people I've come across so far have been inquisitive, engaging, considerate and altogether friendly.  Others will have different experiences perhaps. In my travel guide, this place has already been awarded 5 Pagodas out of 5. Mandalay is going to have to work very hard at letting me down.

Went to the local market and discovered another part of an animal on offer that was new to me. There can't be many left now surely?


Face paint is pretty much ubiquitous on the ladies here. I imagine there is a sunscreen benefit from it as it is a mix of meticulous and slapdash application depending on the lady. But I guess that applies to Western makeup too. So what do I know? 


The Royal Pagoda. A fair hike to and around but worth it. As I was walking to it, I walked alongside a local guy who was 140 if he was a day. He was visiting like me from a local-ish village. He had a bit of English and we spent the morning together wandering around the place and he became a personal tour guide to me. He'd accept no payment whatsoever for his time and insight. I have other examples of random kindness from people today but he was exceptional, although not too much from what I've experienced so far. Buddhism is an excellent religion as far as I can make out. 


Death can be a gaudy affair in Burma.


I've got a hatful of pagoda shots already but here is one with cemetary attached I think it was. Sandamuni Pagoda I think. Anyway, a lot of effort went into this. It went on for miles. 


This is probably about as cute as cute can get.


Also had a Burmese haircut and head massage today. It cost about £2. The head massage was great and delivered by the correct gender this time. The haircut was less successful. You get what you pay for I guess. No more selfies for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment